Eliminating health disparities and improving health among Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) individuals is imperative to achieving health equity. This introductory online course is about understanding the issues - we will examine ourselves and work to better understand the experience of those in the LGBTQ community.
This six-week online learning experience approaches the issue of LGBTQ health from multiple perspectives. It will provide information and an opportunity for personal reflection, and ends with an introduction to action steps public health and health care can take to improve health outcomes for LGBTQ individuals.
WHAT TO EXPECT
This course will take 8 weeks to complete.
- Online course materials
- 6 live sessions (Please put these sessions on your calendar)
- Course schedule – Wednesdays, 12:00-1:00pm
- April 1st – Course shell opens
- April 15th – Live Learning Session 1 (extra half-hour, 12:00-1:30pm MST)
- April 22nd – Live Learning Session 2
- April 29th – Live Learning Session 3
- May 6th – Live Learning Session 4
- May 13th – Live Learning Session 5
- May 20th – Live Learning Session 6
Online course materials
- You will have activities to do on your own between the live meetings. The activities will include things like watching videos and reading.
- There will be a short assignment to complete in preparation for each live session. (Live sessions go quickly. Doing the activities and assignments helps you use the time well.)
- A facilitator will lead guided discussions and activities related to the online content with you and your classmates.
- A topic expert will also be on hand to answer questions and engage in the discussion.
- Live sessions give you the opportunity to connect concepts of evidence-based decision making to your daily work.
- You should receive 2 emails from us before the course begins. Please email us at email@example.com they do not show up in your inbox (please check your spam folder, as well).
- Registration confirmation – immediately after registering
- Course welcome and instructions – 2 weeks before first live session
- Live Sessions
- You must join the Live Learning Sessions by video (an external webcam or built-in camera in your laptop, tablet, or smartphone). Our staff can help you get set up if this is new for you.
- Online course materials
- You will be sent an invitation to the Learning Management System (Canvas) approximately 2 weeks before the first Live Learning Session. You will need to sign in, do some activities and make sure that you know how to connect to the Live Learning Session. Don’t worry about the technology! We have staff to help you. You’ll receive all the information you need once you log in.